Thanksgiving….check…….Black Friday….check. What now……Christmas cards, gift buying and giving, parties, food prep, family and travel. AAAAHHHHHH! It’s enough to make you go crazy!
Such a short amount of time to do all of the things that come with the holidays. Here are my top dozen ideas that help keep me sane.
1. Do your Christmas cards on Thanksgiving weekend
2. Decorate your house for Christmas on Thanksgiving weekend
3. If you buy gifts for people out of town, buy online and have the company ship and gift wrap for you
4. If you struggle what to buy someone for Christmas buy them a gift basket of healthy snacks that they can eat themselves or use for their visitors
5. If you run out of time to shop for someone special, give them a hand written certificate to take them shopping AFTER Christmas so you two can enjoy a day together too
6. If you have close friends/family who are against materialism of the holiday, take them out to dinner or a show, or better yet, donate to their favorite charity
7. If you insist on having a party or hosting Christmas at your house, cater in or make it a potluck to reduce your work
8. If you insist on cooking during the holidays, do something less traditional that’s easier to make, or select a menu that can be made in advance
9. Make all your plans early in the day so you are not out so late you lose sleep
10. Pick your fun events close to home rather than travel like going to the local tree lighting
11. When flying, book the first flight out in case it cancels so there are more flights for you to get on rather than getting stuck overnight
12. Reduce your trips out by consolidating; going to the post office early, dropping miscellaneous things off, shopping for non-perishable first and then stocking up on food for a month rather than a week leaving only tiny shopping trips for missing items
I really hope this gives you some ideas on ways to simplify your life this holiday!